Monday, February 25, 2008

Powerpoints are not substitutes for notes

This was actually in response to a response I wrote the student when she e-mailed to tell me that the book website I have on Blackboard confused her because there are three links for each chapter. These links are for chapter outlines. One link is in a document format, one is in a powerpoint format, and the other is in html format. All have the same information, just different formats. I explained that to her and this is what I got back...

"Ok, that has helped. When you use a powerpoint in class, do you put that on blackboard? I guess what my main point was that I would like to have the exact powerpoint that you use in class so that I have the exact information you would like us to know. The three different formats on Blackboard have lots of information but sometimes you don't go over all of it. Is it possible for you to put up the powerpoints that you use the day/days before that class so that i can take additional lecture notes? Sometimes it is difficult to find what you are going over in the links online."

My reply to this:

"Yes, the powerpoints I use from class are on Blackboard. For example, for Chapter 7, this is what you will see when you click on the folder for Chapter outlines and powerpoints:

Chapter 7
06-01_images.ppt (1.928 Mb)
06-02_pptlect.ppt (2.059 Mb)
From February 4th and 5th
I even have the date of the lectures for these.

No, I can't put them up early, because sometimes I am still editing them the morning of class."

And her reply:

"Could we set up an appointment to talk about this in more detail? I was hoping that an appointment after class could work. Could we make an appointment for after tomorrow's lecture?"

You know, it seems like the more you do for students the more they find to complain about.

No comments: